To do my part, I have created an open and interactive companion book list for this blog. If you are looking for a good read, or simply want to familiarize yourself with Filipino authors, please check it out here— better yet, leave a bookmark, I promise to add more books as I discover them.
For a peek into what I am currently reading, check out my Reading List. Happy reading!
I love to read. I like to balance a mix of fiction and non-fiction. I enjoy finding “random” books in cheap book sales (courtesy of the local library) and my online book club.
Today, I start a reading list page on this blog (see tab on upper-right hand corner), which I will update regularly. This is the March edition: a current snapshot of books in my past/present/future:
- Pacific Rims: Beermen Ballin’ in Flip-Flops and the Philippines’ Unlikely Love Affair with Basketball, by Rafe Bartholomew (2010)
- The Time Traveler’s Wife, by Audrey Niffenegger (2003)
Plan to read:
- White House Doctor: My Patients were Presidents, by Dr. Connie Mariano (2010)
- Building a Bridge to the 18th Century: How the Past Can Improve Our Future, by Neil Postman (1999)
- The Year of Pleasures, by Elizabeth Berg
- the last time i saw you, by Elizabeth Berg [3 stars]
- Amusing Ourselves to Death: Public Discourse in the Age of Show Business, by Neil Postman (1985) [5 stars]
Lastly, some thick books to plow through:
- The Discoverers: A History of Man’s Search to Know His World and Himself, by Daniel J. Boorstin (1985)
- In Our Image: America’s Empire in the Philippines, by Stanley Karnow (1990)
Welcome! As I say in my About page, this blog is (er, will be):
- A collection of commentary on contemporary work (books, articles, films, etc.) by/about/featuring Filipinos.
- A series of book recommendations for everyone who is Filipino, or has lived with/is living with/hopes to live with one.
- An attempt to grapple with the burdens and blessings of being Filipino in the U.S. today.
Please check back as I post entries on noteworthy books published in 2010, including:
- Ilustrado, Man Asian prize-winning novel by fellow Atenean Miguel Syjuco
- Pacific Rims: Beermen Ballin’ in Flip-Flops and the Philippines’ Unlikely Love Affair with Basketball, a very, very funny book by Tagalog-speaking American author Rafe Bartholomew
- White House Doctor: My Patients were Presidents, a memoir by the highest-ranking Filipina in the navy (ever) Dr. Connie
- My Hollywood, a novel featuring a thoughtful Filipina babysitter as protagonist by Mona Simpson
This should give you a flavor of the kind of books I get excited about. If you know of others (that fall into my fuzzy category), please share them by leaving a comment or e-mailing me at: email@example.com.
(*Erratum: Apologies for the mind slip. Thanks to astute commenter for the catch!)