5 great new books, for startersPosted: March 17, 2011
Welcome! As I say in my About page, this blog is (er, will be):
- A collection of commentary on contemporary work (books, articles, films, etc.) by/about/featuring Filipinos.
- A series of book recommendations for everyone who is Filipino, or has lived with/is living with/hopes to live with one.
- An attempt to grapple with the burdens and blessings of being Filipino in the U.S. today.
Please check back as I post entries on noteworthy books published in 2010, including:
- Ilustrado, Man Asian prize-winning novel by fellow Atenean Miguel Syjuco
- Pacific Rims: Beermen Ballin’ in Flip-Flops and the Philippines’ Unlikely Love Affair with Basketball, a very, very funny book by Tagalog-speaking American author Rafe Bartholomew
- White House Doctor: My Patients were Presidents, a memoir by the highest-ranking Filipina in the navy (ever) Dr. Connie
- My Hollywood, a novel featuring a thoughtful Filipina babysitter as protagonist by Mona Simpson
This should give you a flavor of the kind of books I get excited about. If you know of others (that fall into my fuzzy category), please share them by leaving a comment or e-mailing me at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
(*Erratum: Apologies for the mind slip. Thanks to astute commenter for the catch!)